Can Dogs Eat Smarties? The Truth About Dogs and Smarties

Absolutely, as a fellow dog owner like you, I too have watched my pooch eyeing those colorful Smarties and wondered, “Is it safe for my furry best friend to nibble on these?” Well, after tugging at the ends of curiosity and doing some digging around – the answer is yes..and no.

While they’re not toxic to our canine companions, gobbling down these sweets in excess could stir up trouble. So let’s dive right into the fine print about dogs and Smarties candy – it’s interesting enough to change how we see this childhood favorite!

Key Takeaways

  • Smarties are not good for dogs. They have too much sugar and chocolate, which can make your dog sick.
  • Dogs cannot eat UK or Canadian Smarties because they contain milk chocolate. It has theobromine that is bad for them.
  • If a dog eats Smarties by mistake, watch them closely. Look out for signs like vomiting or acting strange. Call a vet if needed.
  • Instead of giving your pet candy like Smarties, choose safer treats such as fruits and veggies or vet-approved options without artificial flavors and sugars.

What Are Smarties?

A bowl of colorful Smarties candy surrounded by confetti.

Smarties are a popular type of candy found in the US, UK, and Canada. In the US, they consist primarily of sugar and artificial flavors with no traces of chocolate. But in the UK or Canada, Smarties have a similar composition to M&Ms and do contain some milk chocolate.

The difference in ingredients makes them unique for each country meaning their impact on dogs may also differ.

Ingredients in US Smarties

Most people love Smarties. But do you know what’s inside these round candies? Let’s find out:

  1. Dextrose is the main thing in US Smarties. It is a kind of sugar.
  2. This sugar comes from corn or wheat.
  3. Smarties are round candies filled with dextrose.
  4. Even though dogs can eat dextrose, it is not good for them as it lacks nutrition.
  5. There is no chocolate in US Smarties.
  6. These candies have a lot of sugar which can be bad for your dog if they eat too much.

Ingredients in UK and Canadian Smarties

UK and Canadian Smarties are not the same as US ones. They look like milk chocolate beans wrapped in sugar shells. Here is what’s inside them:

  1. Milk Chocolate: On the inside, they have sweet, creamy milk chocolate.
  2. Sugar Shells: The outside of a Smartie is hard and sugar-coated.
  3. Artificial Flavors: They get their taste from things that are not natural.
  4. Colors: They come in many bright colors which are made from food dyes.

Can Dogs Eat Smarties?

A dog sniffs spilled Smarties on a kitchen floor.

As a dog owner, it’s important to know that feeding Smarties to your dog is not advisable due to the presence of harmful ingredients like chocolate (or theobromine) in these candies.

Any ingestion can lead to health risks and symptoms that are detrimental for your pet’s well-being.

The truth about chocolate (theobromine) toxicity

I need to tell you something. Chocolate is bad for dogs. It has a thing called theobromine, which makes dogs sick. Dark chocolate has more of this than milk chocolate but even milk chocolate can hurt them.

Smarties are candy that are made from milk chocolate and have sugar shells on top. These also have theobromine in them and it’s not good for your dog to eat these candies. If your dog eats a few, they may not get really sick but if they eat too many, it can be very harmful because of the caffeine and theobromine in them.

Health risks and symptoms of smartie consumption

Eating Smarties can make your dog sick. This candy has chocolate and a lot of sugar. Dogs cannot digest chocolate well, making it toxic for them. If your dog eats too many Smarties, they may start to pant, vomit or have diarrhea.

These are signs that the chocolate is hurting them. They might also act out or seem very excited because of the caffeine in the candy. Too much sugar from Smarties can also harm your dog’s health over time.

It can cause weight gain and lead to other serious problems like obesity.

Detailed Analysis on “Can Dogs Eat Smarties?”

Smarties are not good for dogs. These little round candies have a lot of sugar. Dogs can’t deal with all that sugar like people can. Their bodies aren’t made to process lots of sweets.

Eating too many Smarties could make your dog sick. It might cause their belly to hurt, and they could act strange or seem very tired. You may wonder if it’s okay because you’ve heard about dogs eating other things like Popeyes biscuits, chicken bones, or gummies but the truth is those things aren’t healthy either! So keep your sweet treats away from your furry friends – only feed them food meant for dogs!

Safer Alternatives for Dogs

As a responsible pet parent, it’s imperative to consider safer treat alternatives for your dog. Vet-approved options provide peace of mind regarding your furry friend’s health. Always opt for treats free from artificial flavors and sugars – they’re not just healthier but also taste better to our canine companions.

Vet-approved options

I want to share with you some vet-approved options that are safer for your dogs. These alternatives won’t hurt your furry friend like Smarties can.

  1. Dog-friendly fruits and veggies: Things like apples, carrots and bananas are all good for dogs. Just make sure you take out any seeds or pits.
  2. Vet-approved treats: You’ll find plenty of these at the pet store. They’re made just for dogs, so they’re safe.
  3. Dog-safe peanut butter: This is a yummy treat for dogs! Make sure it doesn’t have the bad stuff called ‘xylitol’.
  4. Cooked chicken: A small piece of cooked chicken makes a great treat.
  5. Alternative products for dogs: You can find lots of different toys and snacks made just for dogs at the store.

Avoiding artificial flavors and sugars

I always keep my dog’s health in mind when choosing treats. Here’s how I avoid artificial flavors and sugars:

  1. I only buy treats that list natural ingredients.
  2. I stay away from anything with sugar listed on the label.
  3. I never give my dog food with xylitol. It can harm his stomach and dry him out.
  4. If a sweetener is used, it has to be safe for dogs.
  5. My choice of sweets always lacks chocolate, raisins, grapes, caffeine and xylitol.
  6. Treats should not be the main part of your dog’s diet, they should be tiny rewards.

What to Do If Your Dog Eats Smarties

If your pooch sneaks a Smartie, stay calm. First, check for any immediate signs of distress. If you notice changes – lethargy or excessive thirst, call your vet immediately. Keep an eye on them for potential health issues like vomiting or diarrhea.

Prompt action is necessary to prevent serious complications from chocolate toxicity in dogs.

Monitor for any health issues

As a dog owner, I keep a close eye on my furry friend after he eats something he shouldn’t. If your dog eats Smarties, you should do the same. Watch for signs that can show poor health.

Vomiting, diarrhea and seizures are some things to look for. They could mean your pet has too much sugar in his body or even poisoning. The chocolate in Smarties is very bad for dogs, especially lots of it.

This is why we need to watch our pets closely if they eat these candies by mistake. Taking quick action helps keep them safe!

Contact a vet if necessary

If your dog eats Smarties, you need to take steps right away. You may see signs of stomach discomfort or indigestion symptoms. These can be due to harmful substances in the candy. Even if you don’t notice these signs, it’s smart to call a vet.

The vet will guide you on what to do next. If your dog ate Smarties with wrappers, they might cause extra trouble for their belly. In this case, seeking veterinary assistance becomes all the more important! Even though small amounts of Smarties are not toxic for dogs, it’s best not to guess and check with experts when your pet’s health is at risk.

Final Thoughts.

Smarties are sweet but not good for dogs. It is best to keep smarties away from them. Picking a dog-friendly treat is a much safer choice. Dog owners need to think of their pet’s health first.



1. Can dogs eat Smarties?

No, dogs should not eat Smarties because they contain a lot of sugar, which is bad for their health.

2. What happens if my dog eats a Smarty?

If your dog eats a Smarty, it might have stomach trouble like pain or diarrhea because of the high sugar content.

3. Are there any types of candy that are safe for dogs to eat?

No, all candies are bad for dogs as they may lead to serious health problems including tooth decay and obesity.

4. Should I take my dog to the vet if it ate one Smarty?

If your dog ate only one Smarty, watch it closely for signs of distress but you likely don’t need to visit the vet unless symptoms show up.

5. How can I keep my dog from eating sweets?

To stop your dog from eating sweets, keep them out of its reach and never use them as treats or rewards for good behavior.

Scroll to Top